Self Improvement Resources

Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas 2008

TOPIC: Christmas

WARM-UP: What things come to mind when you think of Christmas? What do you know about Christmas? How do you celebrate Christmas? What does Christmas mean to you?

  1. Walk around the class and talk to other students about Christmas. Change partners often. After you finish, share your findings with the class. Group into topics.

OBJECTIVES: Today, we will focus on learning about Christmas traditions. This is important to learn because this will help you understand Christmas traditions, vocabulary, and common conversations that take place at this time of year. By the end of this class, you will be able to comfortably talk to visitors, co-workers, and friends about Christmas.

QUESTIONS TO BE DISCUSSED WITH LEARNING ACTIVITIES:

  • What is the story of Christmas?
  • How did it start?
  • How is Christmas celebrated today?
  • How do you celebrate Christmas?
  • What Christmas traditions do you have?
  • What do you want for Christmas?
  • What gifts will you give to others for Christmas?
  • Where are the best places to go Christmas shopping?
  • Where do you think a visitor to Taiwan might want to go Christmas shopping?
  • How do you feel about Christmas? (Is it magical? Is it a nightmare?)
  • Which one is better, a white Christmas, or a golden Christmas, (on the beach in a hot country)?
  • What are some common conversations that take place around the topic of Christmas? How do we talk about Christmas with visitors, co-workers, friends and family?
  • What are some good gift ideas?


LEARNING ACTIVITIES:

What is the story of Christmas?

How did it start?

How is Christmas celebrated today?

  1. Read the article on Christmas.
  2. Discuss the most important vocabulary terms as a class. List these on the board.
  3. Compare and contrast the religious story of Christmas with the modern story of Santa Claus. First, make notes individually. Then, divide into groups to talk about your findings. Make a chart to summarize your findings, (see example). Finally, share your comments and chart with the class.
Religious Story of Christmas Modern story of Santa Claus
Who?

What?

Why?

When?

Where?

How?

Who?

What?

Why?

When?

Where?

How?

How is this celebrated today? How is this celebrated today?

How do you celebrate Christmas?

What Christmas traditions do you have?

What do you want for Christmas?

What gifts will you give to others for Christmas?

Where are the best places to go Christmas shopping?

Where do you think a visitor to Taiwan might want to go Christmas shopping?

  1. Walk around the class and talk to other students about these questions. Change partners often. After you finish, share your findings with the class.

How do you feel about Christmas? (Is it magical? Is it a nightmare?)

  1. What makes Christmas magical for you? Here are some categories. Talk about them with a partner and rank them in order of importance – food / presents / family / lights / shopping / alcohol / church / no work / no school / other. Discuss rankings as a class.

  1. What makes Christmas a nightmare for you? Here are some categories. Talk about them with your partner and rank them in order of ‘badness’ – food / bad presents / family / shopping / alcohol / hangover / small children / Christmas songs / cold weather / other. Discuss rankings as a class.

Which one is better, a white Christmas, or a golden Christmas, (on the beach in a hot country)?

  1. Discuss as a class.

What are some common conversations that take place around the topic of Christmas? How do we talk about Christmas with visitors, co-workers, friends and family?

  1. Read the following conversation example as a class. Divide into groups and practice role-playing activities.

  1. Think of other conversation topics about Christmas that you would talk about with visitors, co-workers, friends and family. Beside these topics, write down some questions that will help you participate in this conversation comfortably. Now, let’s practice talking about these topics with others in the class.

Mary: Hello _______. How are you?

Sara: Hello. I’m great...I’m a little busy with the holidays, though! How about you?

Mary: I’m really looking forward to Christmas. It’s my favorite time of year! I love spending time with the people I love the most… my family and friends! Are you all ready for Christmas?

Sara: Pretty much. I still have some last-minute shopping and cooking to do, though! What about you? Have you got all of your Christmas shopping done?

Mary: I’m not even close! I’ve been so busy with work lately, that I haven’t had enough time to buy gifts for my family and friends. I’m still trying to think of gifts to buy for my husband, my brother, and my father. Do you have any good ideas?

Sara: I know what you mean. I always have a hard time buying things for my brother. Sometimes, I give him gift certificates so that he can just pick out something for himself.

Mary: Hmmmm. That might be a good idea.

Sara: This year, I decided to do as much shopping as possible online, especially for my relatives that live far away. I find it so much more convenient than trying to deal with the crowds of people at the mall! I like that I can order something online and then it is shipped directly to their house!

Mary: Tell me about it! I saw on TV that the line-ups at the shopping mall were really long this year! I don’t think I have enough time to order something online in time for a delivery before Christmas! I better go shopping after work today!

Sara: Why don’t I come with you? Don’t worry. I know where to go for great gift ideas! I can help you find perfect gifts that you can only find in Taiwan! You won’t have to worry that someone else gave them the same gift!

Mary: Sure. That sounds like a great idea.

What are some good gift ideas?

  1. Discuss as a class.

OTHER RESOURCES:

A Christmas Story movie trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvMLfSQrHKE

The Nutcracker Ballet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nutcracker

The Nutcracker Ballet

http://www.national.ballet.ca/TheNutcracker/index.php

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170016/

Christmas Carols

http://www.the-north-pole.com/carols/index.htm

No comments: