Self Improvement Resources

Monday, May 26, 2008

Better English through Games

How to Make Others Think Your English is Better Than You Do!

Jimbo Clark

I have been living in Taiwan for 21 years, and have never studied Chinese. Yet, people who meet me think that my Chinese (and Taiwanese) is fantastic. Am I linguistic genius? I’m sad to say, no, I’m not. I have learned how to make my language ability to appear better than it might actually be, and I’m very excited to share this with you on Thursday night.

Our time together will be spent in the following sections:

· Ask the Next Question

o When first meeting a person, the questions you ask are more important than the answers you give.

o We will practice asking the next questions through a number of meaningful games and activities.

· Drop the Ball

o A few years ago I learned how to juggle. I found that the only way to improve my ability was to drop the ball. The same is true for communication. You have to be willing to drop the ball a few times to improve your communication. We’ll do some exercises that will help you see how making mistakes can help you learn.

· What’s your Story?

o We all have a story about our language ability. Some of these stories are helpful, and some are not. We’ll share our stories, and see if we can find ways to re-write these stories so that our ability to communicate with confidence and ease increases.

I would like to invite you to spend a couple of hours with me this Thursday night. I have worked with thousands of people on their English learning ability and I am confident that in two hours we will have a lot of fun, and that you will walk away with some very useful tools that will change the way you learn and use English.

No comments: