Self Improvement Resources

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Motivating Others

JC Penney Course Handout

June 6, 2008

Motivating Others

Carry over & review from last class:

1.

motivated

a.

assess

2

colleagues

b.

productive

3.

peers

c.

effect

4.

perform

d.

income

5.

rivals

e.

equals

6.

gauge

f.

driven

7.

earnings

g.

nasty

8.

impact

h.

carry out

9.

sour

i.

coworkers

10.

efficient

j.

competitors

Motivating Others Conversation

A: I’ve been noticing that my employee output has been getting lower lately. What do you do when that happens?

B: First you have to assess the situation and come up with some reasons why the output might be low.

A: I have no idea why. I’m nice to everyone and I pay them all quite a high salary.

B: What about bonuses or anything commission based? What sort of financial incentives do you give them?

A: They all have a good medical plan and I give them all a New Year bonus.

B: That’s great but it seems like the workers get the same amount of money regardless of what they do? From their perspective, what is the motivation to work hard?

A: Well, I do my best to verbally encourage them with a job well done. Commission seems like a good idea but it would be hard to do in our industry.

B: Maybe think about employee stock options or profit sharing. Give them ownership in the company. Make them feel that they will be rewarded for their efforts.

Discuss

  1. What are your thoughts on these methods for motivating others? Do you believe they are effective?

  1. What other methods of motivation do you know of or use? How effective are they? (Give examples)

Motivating Others Plan

Create a plan for motivating others or teams in JC Penney. Give details on:

What the motivational plan would entail:

Why the plan is needed (and therefore be of real value):

What resources or buy-in would be needed to implement the plan:

Episode 04 : Financial incentive business english podcast

No comments: