Self Improvement Resources

Friday, June 27, 2008

PC05: Signposting

Signposting


Signposting Your Presentation


Good transitions make the presentation easy for the audience to follow. When you drive on roads, you know where you are on those roads because they have names on signs.

When you give a presentation, use signposts or signals all along the way. They tell your audience both where you are in the presentation and where you are going.

1. Introducing the subject

Let me start by...

I'll start by...

First of all, I'll...

Starting with...

I'd like to begin by...

5. Giving an example

For example,...

A good example of this is...

As an illustration,...

To give you an example,...

To illustrate this point...

2. Finishing one subject

That concludes my introduction…

That wraps up my first point…

So, we've looked at...

That's all I have to say about...

6. Dealing with questions (delaying)

I'll deal with this later, if I may, but for now...

I'll come back to this question later in my talk.

We'll be talking about this question later on.

Could you raise that point again at the end?

Please hold that thought for a moment.

3. …and starting another subject

Let's move on to the…

Let me turn now to...

Turning to...

I'd like now to...

Next...

This brings me to…

7. Summarizing & concluding

Let's recap, shall we?

I'd like to sum up now...

Let me summarize briefly what I've said.

Let me remind you of the key points I've made.

If I can just sum up the main points...

In conclusion...

4. Analyzing a point

Where does that take us?

Let's look at this in more detail.

What does that mean for us?

What does this tell us?

8. Ordering or listing

Firstly...secondly...thirdly...lastly...

First of all...then...next...after that...finally...

To start with...later...to finish up...

After that…finally…

No comments: