Self Improvement Resources

Friday, June 27, 2008

PC03: Introduction

Openings That Work

A good introduction is vital for success. It captures the audiences attention, helps them understand what the message will be, and establishes you as someone they can trust and learn from.

In the introduction, you want to:

Introduce yourself to the audience

Establish a rapport with the audience

Motivate the audience to listen to your message

Overcome your nervousness



圓角矩形: Points Covered in the Introduction     Required: • welcome / greeting • your name and position • the purpose (or title) of your presentation • the main parts you will cover • the length of time you will take • when the audience may ask questions      Optional:  • a reference to the audience or occasion • a “hook”  - ask questions to stimulate thinking - share a personal experience - give an interesting fact or statistic - show a prop or display item - make an inspirational statement - give a unique demonstration



I. The Language of an Introduction

Function

Possible Language

Welcome / greeting

Good afternoon everyone. It is my pleasure to be here with you today.

Ladies and gentleman, good morning and welcome to JC Penney.

Good evening. I am very pleased you were able to attend today’s presentation.

Name and position

My name is James Wu. I am a regional sales manager here at Unilever.

Most of you know me, but for the benefit of those who don’t, my name is Karen Lai, and I am the HR manager.

My name is Roger Tsai, and I am a media planner here at Carat. I am responsible for coordinating your advertising strategy.

Purpose (or title)

The purpose of my presentation is to give you some insight into our strategy for our big merger next month.

My objective today is to introduce the new overtime system which will be operational next week.

My aim this afternoon is to review the highlights of our company’s annual report.

The focus of my talk is to update you on some recent changes to the direction of our project.

Outline main ideas

I’ve divided my presentation into three parts. First, I’ll introduce the company’s history. Secondly, I’ll show you our main markets. And thirdly, I’ll talk about our people.

My presentation will be in three sections. First, I will demonstrate… Then, I will introduce… And finally, we will look at…

My presentation will be in two parts. In the first part I’ll talk about… And in the second part I’d like to…

Length of time

My presentation/talk should take about ___ minutes of your time.

This should only last ___ minutes.

The presentation will take about two hours, but we will take a break after the first hour.

I plan to take about ___ minutes for my presentation.

Questions

Feel free to interrupt me if you have any questions or comments.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to interrupt me at any time.

I’d be glad to answer any questions at the end of the presentation.

I'll try to answer all of your questions after the presentation.

Please hold your questions until the end of my presentation.

II. Practice Introduction

Good afternoon everyone. It’s my pleasure to be here with you today. My name is Robert Chen and I am the Director of Purchasing. As you probably know by now, we have recently had some serious problems with the quality of some vendor products. These problems have affected many departments, and I’m sure you can see how important it is that we resolve these issues. My objective today is to explain to you some of the solutions we have developed for dealing with the product quality issues. I’ve divided my talk into three parts. First, I’ll outline the main quality problems we’ve had. Secondly, I’ll explain the solutions we are considering, and finally I’ll let you know your various roles in the solution implementation. This presentation should take approximately 45 minutes, but if you have any questions or comments please feel free to interrupt me at any time. Sound good? Okay, let’s get started.

III. Write Your Own Introduction

_______________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________

No comments: