The Conclusion
Finishing Off
The conclusion is usually one of the most neglected parts of the presentation, but it is a very important part because people remember endings. During the conclusion, reinforce the main ideas and message. By clearly reinforcing and reviewing the main ideas, you help the audience remember them.
Rule of 3:
- Introduction: say what you are going to say
- Body: say it
- Conclusion: say what you have just said & call for action
Points Covered in the Conclusion
Required:
- Signal/signpost the end
- Summarize the body (past focus)
- Conclude (call for action—future focus)
- Thank your audience
- Invite questions
What is the difference between the summarizing and concluding parts of a conclusion?
I. Language of a Conclusion
| Function | Possible Language |
Signal the end | That brings me to the end of my presentation. That covers what I wanted to say today. |
| Sum up | Now to sum up,… So let me summarize what I’ve said,… I’d just like to review the key points of my talk. To recap the main issues,… Let me now sum up. |
| Conclude | I therefore suggest/propose/recommend that… As we move forward, I’d like to ask... In conclusion, my recommendations are... I’d like to finish by saying that… In my opinion, our next step is to… I’d like to propose that…. |
| Thank your audience | Thank you for listening. I appreciate your attention. Thank you for your participation today. |
| Invite questions | Now I'll try to answer any questions you may have. Can I answer any questions? Do you have any comments or thoughts? Are there any questions? Are there any final questions? I’d be glad to answer you questions. |
II. Practice Conclusion
That brings me to the end of my presentation. Let me just summarize the key points. First, the main product quality issues—poor materials and broken products—are not within our control to solve. Secondly, the most cost-effective solution is to find new suppliers with similar products. And finally, all departments will need to assist with supplier research. In conclusion, I recommend our next step is for each department manager to assign staff to the supplier research project and send me their names. Thank you for listening. Are there any final questions?
After Your Presentation:
Remember, after Q&A you need to end your presentation by thanking participants and stating that the presentation is over.
Thank you all for coming, and I’ll see you soon.
Thank you for your participation, I’ve enjoyed being here with you.
Thank you for listening, I look forward to doing business with you.


No comments:
Post a Comment