Self Improvement Resources

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Coaching Power Tools

8. Putting It All Together





Coaching Dialogue

      Coachee: I’d like to be more comfortable speaking up in meetings. I think it holds me back from being an effective leader.

Coach: How can you do that?

      Coachee: Well, instead of remaining silent, or listening to everyone else, I know I should do it. Even though it sounds simple, I get nervous at the thought of it.

      Coach: Many people feel that way. You have a lot to contribute. How much do you believe that?

      Coachee: I don’t really believe my thoughts are valuable to others.

      Coach: We’ve hit on something important. It is that thought that keeps you stuck. When you shift your thoughts to realizing you have important contributions, you will speak up without effort. How can we practice shifting that thought that this week?

      Coachee: Well, I do have a meeting Thursday. I need to remind myself that I do have important things to say. And I will share my thoughts at least two times during the meeting.

      Coach: You sound quite energized when you say that. What else can you do?

      Coachee: Well, I know that being a successful leader will not happen for me unless I overcome this. I’ve been safely avoiding it for years but I’m not willing to do that anymore. I’ve been thinking about looking for ways to grow my skills.

      Coach: If I understand you correctly, leadership and the ability to speak out in public are closely connected for you?

      Coachee: Yes, absolutely. From my experience, all great leaders are comfortable speaking out when they have thoughts and ideas.

Coach: Do you know of any ways you can learn some skills in this area?

Coachee: Well, I’ve heard good things about Toastmasters for years. Maybe I’ll check it out.

Coach: Maybe? It sounds as though you are not sure if you can commit to that.

      Coachee: That’s true. The idea of speaking in public still makes me nervous. And there is always the issue about my schedule.

Coach: What would be a good first step to make in that direction?

Coachee: I could check out a few clubs’ and see if there is one that is suitable for me.

Coach: What could prevent you from accomplishing this?

      Coachee: Scheduling, I guess. This is really important to me, so I will find a chapter in a location that fits my schedule.

      Coach: Great. So this week, you are committing to... speaking up, at least twice in Thursday’s meeting, and you will explore Toastmasters clubs in your area for one that fits your schedule and feels suitable for you.

      Coachee: Yes, I can commit to doing those things.

      Coach: Fantastic! I fully support you in moving ahead with these actions.

No comments: