Self Improvement Resources

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Effective Feedback

6. Effective Feedback


Giving Feedback

By nature, most of us are not inclined to give feedback. Somehow, at best, we learn to give tactful feedback, but the sacrifice candor in the process. The result is that giving feedback fills us with apprehension, partly as a result of a lack of skill. As a result, we may offer hold back both praise and criticism.

Check those that apply to you.

Often I hold back from giving feedback because:

  • I worry it might upset the person
  • I are afraid that the person might reject you or the feedback
  • I fear the person might ‘hit back’ at me with critical feedback
  • I worry it might lead to a confrontation that would be difficult to resolve
  • I feel that the issue is not that important


Questions: How do you feel about receiving feedback? What kind of feedback has made a difference to you? What kind of feedback left you disempowered?

What do you think is one of the most common mistakes that we make when giving feedback?

What is the difference between criticism and feedback?

Key Points of Effective Feedback

One of the most valuable contributions you will make to people you manage or work with is to give them effective feedback. When applied appropriately, feedback can open up whole new opportunities.

  1. Always ask for permission before giving feedback.

    May I give you some feedback?

    Can I share with you what I have observed?

  1. Take ownership for your feedback. Be responsible for what and how you provide it. To do so, use personal pronouns such as "I" and "my".

    I have noticed lately that you have been unable to complete your assignments on time.

    When you did that, I felt frustrated because…

  1. Become aware of your judgments and let them go.
  2. Feedback is about simply telling someone what has been observed. We are mirroring back the way that we see it.

    I have noticed that…

    I can hear you are very…about that.

  1. Feedback should always be specific. Global statements are to be avoided.

    That was a nice presentation.

    The information you presented was easy to follow. You looked confident.

Feedback should be depersonalized. Focus on behavior, not the person.

Types of Feedback

Affirmative feedback tells the person what they did well and rewards them for it. Its purpose is to encourage the person and to reinforce their behavior.

“Jane, you really did well to finish that report at such short notice. I really appreciate the effort you put into it.”

Developmental feedback tells the person what needs to be done better. Its purpose is to help the person discover or see how they could do a better job next time.

“Jane, I noticed that often there are some typing errors in the reports you have submitted. I am curious what might be the reason for this?

Negative Feedback

Depersonalize negative feedback by using first-person statements to describe your feelings, the behavior that is causing those feelings, and the unproductive consequences of such behavior. Conclude your remarks with an appeal for help. Here’s an example that is candid, constructive, and issue-specific.

I am (first-person) frustrated (feelings) when reports continually arrive late (behavior causing feelings). When individual reports are late, they cause departmental reports to be late; and we do not know the status of certain business issues until it is too late to act (negative consequences). Can you help me get things back on track (request for help)?

Positive Feedback

Recognizing an achievement or contribution is most effective, and far more motivating, when using second-person statements to describe commendable behavior and the positive consequences of such behavior. Closing your comments with an appeal for help in a useful option.

Your (second-person statement) suggestions at the meeting were quite valuable (positive behavior). They led to an effective plan for pinpointing the causes of shortages (positive consequences). How can I help you continue making such valuable contributions to our staff meeting (request for help)?

No comments: